Sunday, April 03, 2005

 

The Pope's Death

President Bush called him a "champion of human liberty". Everyone else has good things to say about the man, also. He was an inspiration to many people, regardless of how you feel about Catholicism or even religion in general (as I've mentioned to some of you, I'm an agnostic myself, but I'm glad to make common cause with religious Americans in recognition of your conservative values, generally superior families, and wholehearted embrace of the 'self-evident truths' in our Declaration of Independence).

Since I'm thinking of alliances with folk I don't entirely agree with, the Pope's death reminds me of what conservative Catholic William F. Buckley said in the mid-70s about liberal Catholic Daniel Patrick Moynihan, when the latter struck some particularly effective blow for freedom in his capacity as US Ambassador to the UN in the Ford Administration. Buckley said something to the effect that it was slightly sad that 'should the Almighty clear his throat and remove the scourge of Communism from the globe', he should then find himself squabbling with this fine man over minor differences in domestic priorities, rather than standing together with him for America's ideals.

Well, here we stand on the shoulders of giants, squabbling with the Democrats over domestic priorities. Let us reflect well on what we owe to Karol Wojtyla, Ronald Reagan, and Margaret Thatcher for bringing the Iron Curtain down. If I ever do become religious, I'll point to the coincidence of their partnership as a proof of the benevolence of divine providence.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?